Images related to this file:
Representative scenery of RAF Middleton St. George in County Durham.
The airfield began its life as Royal Air Force Station Goosepool, and in 1941 became RAF Middleton St. George. The aerodrome opened as a Bomber Command station in 1941. In 1943 it was allocated to No. 6 Group, Royal Canadian Air Force. A sub-station was located at RAF Croft, Yorkshire. Squadrons based here include: 76 Squadron, which flew Halifaxes, 78 Squadron, which flew Whitleys, 419 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, Halifaxes, and Lancasters, 420 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, and 428 Squadron RCAF, which flew Wellingtons, Halifaxes, and Lancasters.
After the war, the aerodrome served various squadrons and units including No. 13 Operational Training Unit (OTU), No. 2 Air Navigation School, No. 4 Flight Training School, 226 OCU and squadrons that used Meteors, Hunters, Javelins and Lightnings.
The RAF left the station in 1964, but the aerodrome was reopened in 1966 as a civil airport. The airfield was named Teesside International Airport in the 1960s, and was renamed Durham Tees Valley Airport in 2004.
This scenery has been made using various scenery libraries, mainly from MAIW. Full listing in the docs.
||Freeware, limited distribution
||22nd June 2014, 18:31:59
||Brian Clarke; Daryl Payne