Images related to this file:
Kangiqsualujjuaq is in northern Quebec on the east side of Ungava Bay, which is to the east of Hudson Bay and around 150 miles wide and 120 miles deep. Kuujjuaq, the administrative capital of northern Quebec, is 100 miles to the southwest. The town is on the bank of the George River, and has also been known as Fort George River, George River, etc. There was a Hudson Bay trading post at the town's location as early as 1838, though it was closed and reopened more than once and the town did not grow because of the trading post; the Inuit lived on the coast during the summer but moved 30 miles inland in winter for trapping. A cooperative was formed in 1959 to market fish, and this was the creative force that brought about establishment of the town; a school was built in 1963.
The airport is to the north of the town in a valley between the surrounding hills at 215 feet ASL. The gravel runway is just over 3,500 feet long and aligned 16/34; there is no PAPI, but there is fuel available, both 100LL and JetA. There are flights by Air Inuit and a warning of caribou on the runway during October and November.
||Freeware, limited distribution
||1st February 2013, 21:24:55