File Description: Repaint of the A2A WWII P-51D Mustang as F-51D-30-NT 45-11582 using John Terrell's excellent paint kit. This aircraft was one of the last batches of P-51D's delivered to the USAAF before the close of WWII. After an uneventful post-war career its final allocation was to the 167th Fighter Bomber Squadron West Virginia ANG at Kanawaha County, West Virginia in 1953. It was withdrawn fron ANG service in December 1956 and transferred to the California Air Material Area in Sacramento. It was sold to Ed Maloney November 1957 and registered N5441V. It was one of the founding aircraft of the 'Planes of Fame' museum in Chino CA and has been in near constant use since then. It has been adorned with a variety of liveries during this time and currently flies as a 334th FS 4th FG Mustang flown by Major James 'Goody' Goodson in 1944. It has for many years been affectionately known as 'Spam Can'
This repaint is based on a photograph of the aircraft in near-derelict condition carrying 2 small practice bombs, probably taken at Sacremento in 1957 before disposal. It therefore represents Spam Can in her final days in active USAF service.